The second round of games in the World Cup group stage is now underway. Find out what each nation has to do to qualify for the knockout stage ahead of the final round of matches.
Already qualified: Russia, Uruguay, France, Croatia
Already eliminated: Egypt, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Peru, Costa Rica
The first tiebreakers are goal difference and goals scored rather than head-to-head (see full breakdown at the foot of the page).
– Russia are through and will top the group if they avoid defeat vs. Uruguay.
– Uruguay are through but must beat hosts Russia to top the group.
– Egypt and Saudi Arabia have been eliminated.
– Portugal need a point against Iran to qualify. Can qualify with a defeat if Spain lose by a bigger margin.
– Spain need a point against Morocco to qualify. Can qualify with a defeat if Portugal lose by a bigger margin, or if Iran/Portugal is a low-scoring draw and Spain lose by no more than one goal.
– If both Portugal and Spain lose the team with the worse result would finish third. If both Portugal and Spain win the team with the biggest victory would finish top. Spain and Portugal currently have identical records and are separated by disciplinary records (yellow/red cards). If this finishes level too they will draw lots for group position.
– Current yellow cards: Portugal 2, Spain 1
– Iran must beat Portugal to qualify, and could finish top if Spain lose. Morocco have been eliminated.
– France have qualified and need a point against Denmark to top the group.
– Denmark need a point to qualify and will top the group with a win vs. France. They will also qualify with a defeat if Australia fail to beat Peru.
– Australia must beat Peru and hope Denmark lose, and top the Danes on goal difference.Peru have been eliminated.
– Croatia have qualified and need a point vs. Iceland to top the group, though superior goal difference means they are almost certain of first place.
– Nigeria must beat Argentina to be guaranteed going through, though a point will be good enough if Iceland do not beat Croatia.
– Argentina have to beat Nigeria and hope Iceland do not win to definitely qualify. If both Argentina and Iceland win, then Argentina must do so by a greater margin as their goal difference is one worse than Iceland’s. If the two teams finish with identical records, they drew with each other so are then separated by disciplinary records (yellow/red cards) and then drawing of lots for second place.
– Iceland must beat Croatia and hope Nigeria do not beat Argentina. If Nigeria draw then Iceland must win by at least two goals to match goal difference, and if records are identical Nigeria would then go through on head-to-head. If Argentina win then Iceland must do so by the same margin or greater to guarantee finishing second.
– Current yellow cards: Argentina 3, Iceland 0
– Brazil need a point against Serbia to guarantee their place, and will also go through with a defeat if Switzerland also lose by the same margin or greater.
– Switzerland need a point against Costa Rica to secure their place but will also go through with a defeat if Serbia lose to Brazil. Should Switzerland lose by one goal and Serbia draw it will go to goals scored. If the teams finish with identical records then Switzerland would go through on head-to-head. If Switzerland are beaten by two goals they can qualify only if Serbia lose.
– If both Brazil and Switzerland win or lose they might need to be separated by disciplinary record or drawing of lots for top spot or second as the head-to-head is 1-1. This would happen, for instance, if Brazil won 2-1 and Switzerland won 2-0 for top spot, or for second position if Brazil lost 2-0 and Switzerland lost 1-0.
– Current yellow cards: Brazil 3, Switzerland 4
– Serbia will definitely qualify with a win, and could go through with a draw as noted.
Costa Rica have been eliminated.
Though most groups have begun their second round of games, some have yet to do so. However, there are a few things to highlight. Where a team is not mentioned it cannot advance or be eliminated in the second round.
– Sweden are through if they win and South Korea draw or lose.
– Mexico are through if they win and Germany draw or lose.
– South Korea are out if they lose and Sweden draw or win.
– Germany are out if they lose and Mexico draw or win.
– Belgium are through if they win and Panama draw or lose.
– England are through if they win and Tunisia draw or lose.
– Panama are out if they lose and Belgium draw or win.
– Tunisia are out if they lose and England draw or win.
– Japan are through if they win and Poland-Colombia is a draw.
– Senegal are through if they win and Poland-Colombia is a draw.
– Poland are eliminated if they lose and Japan-Senegal is a draw.
– Colombia are eliminated if they lose and Japan-Senegal is a draw.
May the best and most entertaining team qualify for Round of 16..!!